Diet for Happy Hormones

Hormones run just about every function in your body, from your heart rate to digestion to libido, and much, much more.  Even doctors who specialize in hormones probably don’t totally understand everything that they do!  

This hormone healthy diet can address the most common hormone health problems including:

  • weight regulation and diabetes
  • libido and mood
  • inflammation
  • pain and arthritis 
  • thyroid health
  • fatigue
  • high or low appetite

When it comes to nutrition, well, we all know how to eat “healthy.”  Usually, it’s just a matter of fine-tuning a few things.  Some people need a complete overhaul!  Either way, it all starts at the grocery store.  Start buying the “good stuff,” and not buying the stuff you are trying to reduce or eliminate.  It’s that simple; just keep the “bad stuff” out of your pantry.  

butter

Science is finally catching up to what we’ve been saying for years.

If you’re worried about your cholesterol going up – don’t worry.  If you’re worried about gaining weight from the increase of fats, don’t worry.   “Fats don’t make you fat.  Sugars and carbohydrates do!”

Essential fatty acids reduce inflammation and increase hormone production.  Decreasing carbohydrates and sugars lowers your blood sugar and insulin release.  This combination will ensure healthy hormones and proper weight management.

Eat Plenty Of:

  • Organic, free-range chicken and eggs, grass-fed beef and butter, non-farmed fish 
  • Antibiotic-free, hormone-free FULL FAT, PLAIN yogurt or kefir (use stevia drops to sweeten, or fruit, if you like)
  • Raw or sprouted nuts
  • Vegetables:  a wide variety including sprouts, fermented veggies like sauerkraut, leafy greens, root veggies like onions and carrots, sea vegetables like arame or nori, fatty vegetables like avocado, cruciferous vegetables like brussel sprouts and broccoli
  • Fresh, seasonal fruit
  • Good oils to include with your regular meals:  olive oil, coconut oil, and butter or ghee (clarified butter)

Eat Less of:

  • White sugar
  • Iodized salt
  • Packaged foods, especially the “low-fat” or “reduced calorie”  (HUGE RED FLAGS!)
  • Canola or vegetable oils (90% of it is GMO); instead use olive oil, coconut oil or butter
  • Refined grain products such as pizza crust, pasta, breads, cookies and pastries, cereals, etc.
  • Soda.  Just.  don’t.  
  • Excessive caffeine (can affect estrogen and cause fibroids to increase)

Eat at least 80% of the good stuff, and save the other 20% (or less) for your absolute must-haves like birthday cake, wine with dinner, one hamburger with the bun, or dark chocolate.

The key to making a healthy hormone diet working is eating plenty of fats.  Think of cooking your veggies in coconut oil, cook your eggs in butter or bacon grease (just like grandma!).  Top your salads with plenty of healthy dressings (low in sugar, high in oil).  Put avocados on your soup as a topping.  Keep nuts in your desk drawer to snack on.  Load up on fats and your appetite will naturally regulate.  You will feel fuller for longer.  Your inflammation will go down.  Hungry late at night?  Put a spoonful (or two) of peanut butter or almond butter on a banana.  

What are your biggest challenges when it comes to changing your diet?  Motivation?  Cravings?  Cooking skills?  I want to hear from you in the comments below:  

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Print this pageEmail this to someone

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *