My mind is blown. I didn’t sleep last night because of this. The monkey wheels were racing frantically. I just have to share this information with you:
I met with a prominent ENT doctor yesterday. She has been in practice over 22 years in Austin and is highly regarded in her field. Her patients gladly wait over an hour to see her. She asked me about what I do, and we chatted.
She asked me how NAET works and why it works. I explained that it re-boots your nervous system to not over-react to allergens.
Her view on allergies – one of her practice specialties – was mind-blowing. You may have heard of this before, but for me it’s brand new.
Based on research on the Human Genome Project (2003), scientists have “discovered” a gene mutation that is found in about 40-50% of the “population.” This gene, called MTHFR (short for something else that neither you nor I will ever pronounce nor remember), is either malfunctioning or completely turned off in almost everyone.
What happens then is that your body lacks the ability to properly produce an enzyme that allows for the absorption of B9, or folate, also known as folic acid. This enzymatic process is called “methylation.” Your body can only use methylated B vitamins. If they are not methylated, they build up in your blood and can cause problems of toxicity.
You may already know that folic acid is important for holding pregnancy and preventing birth defects. There is also a link to B absorption and psychiatric issues such as schizophrenia, depression, and anxiety. Also, there is a link with chronic infections, allergies, and even cancer! Even dementia! Even skin problems! Anemia! And hormones! Basically, as what I can gather from Google, is that B vitamins regulate just about everything in your whole body.
Questions I instantly had:
1. Who, exactly, is this population in the genome study?
2. Mutation? Really? Like the X-Men?
3. Why have almost half of the population mutated?
4. How do you recover from it?
I only asked the last question. Her answer was “Recover? You don’t recover from a gene mutation!” Silly me.
I told her I was going to research it more. She gave me some handouts and info on a YouTube lecture by a MTHFR expert.
And of course, the allopathic treatment for it is a pill by a pharmaceutical company. It’s methylated B-vitamin. I’m sure they are all very well-meaning people, but I – as a rebel and a visionary – am skeptical.
This made me laugh: at the bottom of the handout on how to mitigate effects of MTHFR. One is to eat berries, which are naturally high in methylated B vitamins!
Now I had another question: “Why not just tell your patients to eat berries every day?”
She had a good answer: “You may not be able to commit to doing that. Plus, if something traumatic happens – a death for example – and you become depressed, you may need something stronger to get over the hump.”
“But why not make a supplement made out of berries?”
She paused. “That would probably work.”
What woke me up in the middle of the night was this thought, “How can half of the population have a mutation? Is that really a mutation or is it more of an evolution? How come some people are really sick from this problem and other people – like me who may have the mutation but are now healthy and mostly symptom-free – not?”
“Why would we have evolved to not need that gene? Maybe because our diet used to contain more foods naturally high in methylated B vitamins and that gene became lazy?”
I went to Google some more stuff. “foods naturally high in methylated B vitamins” Try googling this. The answers are disappointing.
So here’s my theory: it’s the food.
We used to eat more fermented foods, more raw foods, more organ meats, more fats, and more salt-preserved foods. The modern diet is so different from the diet humans evolved eating. In fact, doctors and so-called experts have told us for years to avoid eating the very same foods that people have evolved for a billion years eating!!!
1. MILK and DAIRY: We used to drink raw milk, or none at all! Now it’s all tons of homogenized and pasteurized dairy with sugar added in for flavor. Raw milk is more complete with enzymes to aid digestion and protein absorption. Fermented dairy products made with raw milk are even more potent. Yogurt is great – but better if made at home with raw milk. The store-bought stuff with sugar and other shit added in, just don’t even bother. It’s the QUALITY of the food that counts.
2. MEAT: We used to eat more organ meats, now it’s mostly skeletal protein. And mostly poor-quality skeletal protein: riddled with antibiotics and artificial hormones and other shit you shouldn’t want to eat. Doctors tell their patients to avoid red meat. What they are failing to say is that grass-fed red meat (and butter) are really, really good for you! If you can’t muster the thought of eating Liver, you can get it in a pill form. It’s full of B-vitamins (pre-methylated by the animal!) and trace minerals (good for adrenal and hormone function).
3. SUGAR: We eat way too much of it.
4. FOOD CHEMICALS: So you’ve been eating too much sugar. Good news: now you can have a man-made sugar-like sweet-tasting chemical to consume on a regular basis! Just kidding. That’s not good news. It’s very, very bad news. Don’t eat this shit.
5. GLUTEN: The gluten we are eating today is not the same as we ate 200 years ago. In general, try to not eat processed grains, period. If it’s bleached pure white and tastes sweet, it’s probably bad for you. Try sprouted grain breads – or no bread at all – for a change and see if you feel different in your energy and digestion afterward.
6. FERMENTED FOODS: Almost every culture has a rich history of eating fermented foods. We are lacking this in the US. Try this experiment and see how you feel: instead of regular bread, try sprouted grain bread. Instead of sugary pickles, try making homemade pickles, or find a reliable – and truly fermented – brand of pickles at your health food store. Eat sauerkraut. Eat whole-fat yogurt without sugar added in.
7. SALT: Salt is not bad for you. IODIZED SALT IS BAD FOR YOU. Iodized salt is chemically processed with chemical iodine added back in for “health.” It’s not healthy. Just use regular old sea salt. For extra credit use pink or grey sea salts. The darker or richer the color of the salt, the more trace minerals it contains. Eat seaweed every day. There’s a reason why Japanese people live longer and look healthier than other populations! Seaweed is a perfect food for your thyroid, too. If you can’t eat it, take it in a pill.
8. Vegetables. Include veggies into every meal. Yes, every single one. Even breakfast. Raw and cooked. All different types. Learn how to make different types of salads and soups. Eat them regularly.
In regards to a gene that is “turned off” (it’s not technically mutated, I think, but rather an inactive gene), I think also the NAET has helped me recover from my B-vitamin deficiency symptoms. Stimulating the nervous system to wake things up? There’s something to be said at looking at the whole picture (billions of years of evolution) and not an overly myopic view (one teeny, tiny gene) to get a fair picture of what is going on and how to better our health.