I did the “Master Cleanser” twice. I only made it about 4 days on either time before I “cheated.” If you are unfamiliar with the Master Cleanser, it involved drinking a concoction of fresh-squeezed lemon, cayenne pepper, and molasses for a period of about 2 weeks. You can drink as much of it as you like, but your diet is restricted to this drink alone. It kind of sucked.
Cleansing is certainly not for everyone.* For example, if you have 3 of these 4 things, I would advise against cleansing of any sort***.
- Weakened Immune System
In Chinese medicine, we call these characteristics “deficiency.” However, if you tend more toward “excess” conditions, as most people in America do, cleansing during the spring and fall for 1 to 2 weeks is a great idea for your health.
Excess conditions may include usually at least 3 or 4 of the following:
- Elevated A1C or Diabetes II
- High Cholesterol
- Red face
- Loud voice
- Joint pain
The type of cleansing that I usually recommend involves eating, just eating very clean.
The “Purification Program” from Standard Process is an excellent guide. If you are interested in this, let me know in the comments section or via email.
Pre-cleanse / Day 1 Remove all “extras” from your diet including caffeine, alcohol, and sugar.
Days 2-8 Remove grains (except brown rice – see below), dairy products and meats from your diet. Use a hormone-free whey protein or hemp protein shake (preferably that contains vegetables too, like the SP Complete Shake) in the morning and night.
OK to have:
- peppermint or other herbal teas (mint tea is good for the bad breath that can accompany cleansing)
- fish oil supplements
- fiber supplements (to cleanse, you must have good BMs!)
- LOTS of fresh, purified water
- any vegetables or fruits
- raw almonds
- 1/2 cup of cooked lentils or brown rice per day
- oils such as flax seed, coconut, olive, or grapeseed
- light exercise (don’t attempt to run a marathon while you’re cleansing; listen to your body’s limits)
- take warm baths or have a sauna to sweat out toxins and relax
- get a massage if you can
- meditate at least 5 minutes daily
- add other foods back in slowly; in other words, don’t go straight to McD’s for a burger, fries, and shake
- pay attention to how your body reacts to adding back in other foods
- you will notice that some foods make you energetic and vibrant and others make you feel sluggish and crappy
*NOTE: pregnant or breast-feeding mothers – really ANYONE – can do a modified cleanse where you eliminate only refined grains, processed / white sugars, cheese and milk products, caffeine, and alcohol. Basically you can call it eating super-healthy and anyone can do this type of “cleansing” any time for as long as you like! You can eat any vegetables and fruit, nuts, hormone-free meats and fish, whole grains, and oils such as coconut or olive or flax.
***If you have any serious medical condition, cleansing should only be done under direct supervision of a health care practitioner.
Have you ever done cleansing before? How were your results? Was it a good experience?