No time to exercise? Welcome to my world. Sometimes I get 5 minutes into a fitness class and my baby starts crying, and then…I’m done, I guess. So we have to improvise sometimes. Here are my very own “exercise hacks” to use when life seems to be conspiring to keep you un-fit.
Complication #1: Children
- Do yoga in the house before they wake up
- Stuff the kids into a jogging stroller and hit the trail (my version of this: use a baby wrap and go walking)
- Have a dance party!
- Attend a gym with free baby-sitting
- Get a regular baby-sitter so you can take an exercise class that you enjoy
- Play soccer / football / frisbee / etc. with your kids
- Take everyone swimming (Barton Springs, the Y, the community pool, etc.)
Complication #2: Travel
- Yoga, again, would be suitable for the hotel room
- If your hotel has wi-fi (who doesn’t nowadays?), set your laptop up, go to Youtube and do an exercise video, or find some good music videos and …dance party!
- 20 seconds “on”, 10 seconds “off” for four full minutes EACH of push-ups, squats, and burpees. If you have knee problems, substitute sit-ups for the squats.
- Pack your walking shoes and plan on hoofing it as much as possible
Complication #3: Schedule
- Consider this: you will be more effective and efficient if you make the time to exercise. Make it happen.
Complication #4: Pain
- Get out of pain — we have plenty of options to get out of pain — acupuncture, massage, chiropractic, or surgery or medication if necessary.
- Try water exercise like water aerobics or swimming; it’s easy on your joints
- Try “Restorative Yoga” — it’s a style of yoga that’s ideal for those with pain, fatigue, or recovery from surgery
- Try Tai Chi — it is gentle and will strengthen your joints
- Lose the excess weight. We have lots of resources here if you need help losing weight.
Complication #5: I Hate the Gym
You don’t need a gym membership to get exercise. Do what your body likes to do. Here are some ideas to get you started
- Join the rowing club
- Learn a martial art
- Go for a family walk after dinner
- Get a dog and start walking / jogging her
- Take a dance class — you’re never to old to learn the salsa!
- Get a book on yoga and teach it to yourself
- Try one new exercise every day for a month!
- Go to a rock climbing gym
- Get a trampoline or a jump rope and do that for 5 minutes every day
- Get a bicycle and start riding around town instead of driving
- Walk to the bus stop instead of driving
- Take the stairs
- Find the parking spot the furthest from the front of the store
How about you? What do you think gets in the way of your exercise?