Viruses are not new and fortunately, there’s been answers for them for almost just as long as they’ve been around. The good news is we DON’T have to wait around, wringing our hands, waiting for a vaccine. Something that hasn’t gained much traction through all of the 2020 pandemic, but what many herbalists and naturalists around the world know, is that herbal medicine is the best way to combat a virus.
Some herbs help PREVENT AND RECOVER from viral infection and others can help your body KILL viruses.
You may have seen this article recently about recovery from COVID-19 through the use of steroid medication. The shortcomings of the medicine are plenty, though. Even with the benefits, there’s still no change in mortality rates, lung damage rates, or inflammation markers. And not to mention the side-effects of steroid drugs for diabetics and people who struggle with their weight.
If only there was a solution that worked better without those side-effects!
There already is/are! And they’ve been around for millions (Billions?) of years.
Certain classifications of herbs that have effects on the adrenal glands (those are your cortisol-producing glands, among other hormones) are proven anti-virals in their ability to protect your body from viral infection. In Chinese medicine, we say they “protect your Qi.” Your protective Qi is like invisible body armor from pathogens. Even though thousands of years ago they didn’t know WHY these herbs had that effect, modern science has proven them correct. They’re classified as “Adaptogens.”
In addition to being anti-viral, the herbs are also protective of the organs and are anti-inflammatory in nature. So, basically, none of those nasty drug-induced side-effects. They help your organs work better, so your innate immune cells can do their function better.
Here’s a list of some VIRAL PROTECTIVE AND RECOVERY HERBS we recommend. Of course, always consult with a licensed herbalist before prescribing yourself any type of herbal formula.
1. Astragalus – safe for almost everyone, but it also gives you energy, so be cautious is you’re anxious or an insomniac and using it. 1-2 grams per day is a minimal dose and it’s good to combine with other herbs to mitigate the boost in Qi it provides.
2. Echinacea – safe for almost everyone, including pregnant or nursing mothers. 2 grams a day provides a minimal protective dose for most adults.
3. St. John’s Wort – not for use if you’re on medication for depression, but 2 grams per day is helpful for depression as well as viral protection.
4. Licorice – not for use if you have fluid retention, are on medication for hypertension, or have high blood pressure. Licorice extract is to be taken in a low dose, about 1/2 gram per day and is good for digestion, viral protection, and cough.
5. Ginseng – similar to astragalus above.
6. Holy basil – also helps with stress-regulation. Works best when combined in an herbal formula designed for your constitution. 2 grams per day is a typical dose.
Since the viral protective herbs are also helping your adrenal gland function, they help with energy regulation and the effects of stress on your body. As opposed to cortisol drugs, which supply you with the cortisol that your adrenals produce, without actually helping your adrenals work better.
And now for the herbs to take when you’re in the midst of a viral infection:
1. Andrographis – 4-6 grams per day of infection. To be combined with other herbs like licorice and echinacea for best effect. Do not exceed 7 days of use in a row.
2. Wormwood (Artemisia) – one of the best anti-viral herbs available. Use 2 grams per day, not to exceed 10 days in a row. Typical dose for long-term viral issues is 6 weeks, with a rotation of 10 days on and 10 days off.
These herbs are rarely taken in isolation, but in a combined formula prescribed by an herbalist. The other herbs in the formula support the anti-viral effects of the stronger herbs, and help with other issues in your condition such as expelling phlegm, stopping a cough, or helping with stress regulation.
Also important in the recovery from viral infection is calcium. A good quality calcium – calcium lactate is the most readily absorbable form – induces activity from your body’s immune cells. Calcium needs healthy fats to be absorbed in your body, so taking it with a good fish oil is helpful as well. Fish oil usually has other immune-boosting nutritions as well that prove helpful in these times: Vitamin D and A.
And of course, vitamin C and zinc are necessary for proper immune function and recovery (and prevention) from illness. The best sources are foods:
1. Fruits and veggies
2. Beans, nuts, whole grains
3. Seafood and organ meats
Please forward this to anyone you think could use some help with their immune system.