This time of year many of us are heading out of town. Vacation and travel make great excuses to not exercise and take care of our bodies, but I don’t buy it. I’m not one for excuses. It either is or it isn’t. I don’t want excuses, I want results! (*pounds desk for emphasis*)
Here are some of the ways I like to maintain my wellness while traveling:
1. Hotel room exercise plan: you don’t need a fancy gym to get in a good workout. Let me give you some examples of what I have done in the past inside my hotel room to stay fit:
- 5 sets of 25 pushups, 25 situps, and 25 squats
- Yoga for 30 minutes; youtube has a wide variety of video classes to choose from
- If you have your MP3 handy, have an impromptu dance party
2. Take herbs just in case: I always pack a few herbal essentials for, as the French say, “juste au cas:”
- Suan Zao Ren Tang or Gui Pi Tang for insomnia (some hotel rooms are just not that comfortable!)
- Herbal ABX in case of infection
- Mint tea can be used for: constipation, upset stomach, or for boosting your immune system (you know how hard it is to get good food on the road!)
3. Don’t use the old “oh, you’re on vacation!” excuse when eating:
- “Nothing tastes as good as thin feels,”
- Eat only foods that are nourishing to your body; eat MORE vegetables. Vegetables have the special designation of being the only food group that eating more of them will actually benefit your health.
- Do the best that you can; punishing yourself or feeling guilty will make overindulgence even worse. Enjoy the treats and then get right back “on the wagon.”
- Only eat when you’re really, really hungry. Quit the mindless snacking.
Have a happy holiday season!